Nitric Oxide is produced in the endothelium of your 100,000 miles of arteries, capillaries, and veins! Its production by vascular endothelium is particularly important in the regulation of blood flow. Because of its importance in vascular function, abnormal production of NO, as occurs in different disease states, can adversely affect blood flow and other vascular functions. The human body is wonderfully and fearfully made with the ability to heal itself. What you do with this information is up to you. The next obvious questions would be: "Why do we stop producing Nitric Oxide", and "How can we begin re-producing "NO"?
Nitric oxide (also known as "NO") is a gas that functions as a signaling molecule (neurotransmitter) telling your body to make blood vessels relax and widen. As a gas, you are unable to supplement with it but we CAN take l-arginine which converts to nitric oxide.
After arginine is consumed in foods and in supplements, it makes its way into the bloodstream and circulates throughout the body. As it enters the endothelial cells that line the smooth muscle walls of blood vessels, an enzymatic reaction occurs that converts arginine to nitric oxide. As the levels of arginine rise in the body, so does your production of nitric oxide, which in turn can have a dramatic and positive effect on your cardiovascular health.
Direct vasodilation - (opens up vessels) Indirect vasodilation by inhibiting vasoconstrictor influences
Anti-thrombotic effect - (prevention of blood clots)
Anti-proliferative effect - (inhibits smooth muscle hyperplasia)
1. Nitric Oxide is produced in healthy arteries
2. Nitric Oxide is diminished in our arteries as we introduce unhealthy lifestyles and as we age the arteries begin to stiffen and the artery lining (endothelium) begins to crack
3. The debris such as cholesterol begins to accumulate under the lining as it seeps into the little cracks that begin. In addition the debris sticks to the outside of the lining
4. The lumen (opening) begins to narrow as this plaque build up thickens leaving us susceptible to disease processes
5. Left unchecked, the oxygen and nutrient rich blood supply is cut off which leads to heart attacks and strokes is Loaded with L-Arginine!
Diet and exercise help but it is not enough. It would take 24/7 to get enough exercise, and you could be eating nonstop. Dr. Salvador Moncada from England discovered that the endothelium uses a naturally occurring amino acid to make nitric oxide called L-Arginine.
The Solution! L-Arginine L-Arginine produces Nitric Oxide in the endothelium of our vessels and keeps our cardiovascular system working optimally!